Positive Appearance Manifesto
Do you have bad body thoughts? Do you focus on the areas of your physical appearance that you find wanting and then feel bad about yourself? Do you obsess about your body size and shape, your wrinkles, your stature, your physique? If so, you are not alone. Male or female, in today’s appearance conscious culture, it’s nearly impossible to pass a mirror without some critical judgment popping into your head. There’s nothing like bad body thoughts to put you on a permanent downward spiral. It’s time to stop. Below is a POSITIVE APPEARANCE MANIFESTO (adopted from the Positive Beauty Manifest, Psychologies Magazine, June 2011). Start practicing these 10 principles to put yourself on an upward spiral.
- Appearance is the celebration of what is unique about you.
- Taking the time to care for yourself boosts your self-confidence.
- Appearance is complex. It does not follow a simplistic set of rules and universal conventions.
- Look to intelligent, individual and confident role models and celebrate their appearance.
- Don’t allow the media bombardment of unattainable, perfect appearance ideals to damage your confidence as these ideals are not REAL.
- True appearance radiates who you truly are and includes all your imperfections.
- Feeling attractive is more important than looking attractive.
- You can enhance your image through hair styles, clothes, etc. without being superficial.
- Neither neglecting your appearance nor obsessing about it are healthy.
- You can be attractive regardless of your age or weight.
You are you. You are attractive when you feel attractive. You feel attractive when you love yourself for who you are. Try playing this game. Take a day and pretend you are beautiful/handsome. Really get into the feeling. Now watch how others respond to you. If you really play the game, you will receive compliments and attention based on the attractive mindset you have adopted. It’s that simple. Attractiveness, bottom line, is in your mind!