Do you find yourself drifting downward by the stressors you encounter throughout your day? Is it your difficult boss, your outspoken teen, the bills piling up or the general tenor of today’s world that sends you plummeting? This downward drift can easily create its own momentum, pulling you further away from a sense of confidence, power and joy. What’s needed is an intervention – a quick fix that will easily and effortlessly launch you back onto an upward spiral trajectory. Below are five easy tips that can do the trick.
- MUSIC. There’s nothing like a little music to set yourself in a positive direction. Create a playlist with your favorite upbeat songs. When possible, take a break from the day’s events to listen to your selection and feel the energy of the music raise your spirits. No opportunity to plug in your iPod? Don’t worry. Try humming or singing one of your favorites. (Even if you can’t sing on key, don’t let that stop you from raising your spirits with a song.) If you’re really down in the dumps, you might even try writing your own lyrics to a favorite tune. Now you’re taking charge of your mood!!!
- MOVE. Shake that booty. Move those legs. Raise those arms. Yes, movement in any form is an energizer. Shake out your stressors – literally. Shake your arms as if you’re dumping off the negative energy. Now, do the same with your legs. Imagine all that stress and negativity flying off. Do you feel lighter? Freer? Then you’re ready to do a little dancing. Feel the rhythm of your movements align with positive energy. Enjoy the movement for the sake of movement. Let yourself go and get into the moment.
- LAUGH. Laughter is great medicine. Let its curative powers work its magic on you. Laughter releases endorphins, the feel good chemicals that turn a downward feeling into an upward one. Lighten up and find the humor in whatever is dragging you down. Bookmark some YouTube videos that provoke a chuckle. There are likely to be some clips of your favorite comedians. Watch a sitcom or a film comedy. Keep a collection of humorous emails that others have sent you and pull them up as needed. And when you start to laugh, go for the gusto. Don’t hold back.
- APPRECIATE. Did you know that appreciation facilitates brain functioning? Get your brain hopping and your heart swelling by tapping into your appreciative side. Appreciate yourself first, even if it’s just appreciating that you are appreciative. Next, find someone else to appreciate, even if it’s a stranger who held the door open for you this morning when your hands were filled. Now, what can you appreciate about your circumstances? Find the positive aspects and focus on them. Look at the bigger picture and put things in perspective. Ask yourself what you can gain from coping with current difficulties.
- MEDITATE. Meditation is a great way to slow down and get centered. Its purpose is to help you let go and just bring you into the present moment. You can do a breathing meditation where you sit quietly and simply focus on your breath, letting go of intrusive thoughts as they come to our awareness. Or you can do a guided meditation, visualizing comforting and relaxing circumstances. No time to meditate? Don’t worry – you always have time to breathe. The quickest way to get centered and let go is to focus on your breath, so just take one minute out of your day to let go and consciously breathe. Slowly breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. You’ll be surprised how much more mileage you get from that breath break.
So don’t let that downward slide turn into a negative loop. Put yourself back on an upward spiral with one of these quick and easy techniques. In less than five minutes, you can feel yourself on the upswing. Keep that momentum going, and have a great day!